Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 06:35:41 EST

    On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:46:49 -0800 (PST) Peter Ogilvie
    <roverhi@yahoo.com> writes:

    > The 5 cylinder 300 Mercedes diesel is supposedly too
    > long to fit in a Series engine bay

    I also used to have a 300TD (why on earth did I get rid of it?) and one
    day I measured the 300 engine and my 109 (4 cyl) engine bay. You'd have
    to do MAJOR work to get the 300 engine in there. And I think that engine
    would have tons of power for highway use, and even accelleration (as I
    remember, the 300TD is over 1000 lbs. heavier than a 109SW!), but off
    road it would suck, which seems to defeat the main reason for putting in
    a diesel.