Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: Richard.Clarke@nre.vic.gov.au
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 16:56:45 EST

    these comments are all directly related to you proposal to possibly replace
    your Landy engine with a 4BD1 Isuzu - I'm familiar with these motors in
    Landy's, but not with any of the others you mentioned.

    I have owned an Australian produced 'Stage 1' with a 4BD1 and an Australian
    produced 110 with the same motor. Each had the 4 speed LT95 gearbox as
    found in early Rangies.

    The stage 1 had the same (drum) brakes as the standard LWB 6 cylinder
    series III

    The 110 had disks on the front and drums on the rear - the 110 brakes were
    miles better (literally! :-))

    Maxidrive in Australia sleeves and laminated the axle housings - I had it
    done on both. The front driveaxles on each of the above had 10 spline
    inners, with fine spline ends into the CV. Maxidrive make a stronger axle
    that is fine spline both ends. At the same time I got the diff. centre
    replaced with a machined four bearing carrier also from Maxidrive a vacuum
    operated diff. lock is also available with this. The heavier differential
    uses the standard crown wheel and pinion. Maxidrive have advised me that I
    need to fit older (County) 110 CV joints if I fit the stronger carrier and
    axles to my 300tdi 130 Defender, as, apparently the later ones are weaker.

    The axle housing is sleeved by inserting a pipe about 3/8" wall thickness
    inside the axle tubes, a piece of about 1/4" plate is shaped and welded
    over the lower 2/3 of the inner piece/diff part of the housing. The 110
    had slit the centre part of the housing for about 2" up the section that is
    raised to clear the crown wheel before this was done.

    The stage 1 was of course leaf sprung and the front springs were verrrrry
    heavy. I built a crane to fit to the bull bar operated from the front
    winch and even lifting other engines did not look like bottoming to the
    bump stops - but it was fairly hard to drive on very rough or corrugated
    roads as it tended to bounce

    The 110 had coil springs which had much more flexibility. When I bought it
    the front springs were a bit tired and would bottom out occasionally (winch
    on the front too). But when replaced with new ones ($95 Au from memory) it
    raised the front about an inch and didn't bottom anymore.

    The biggest issue with the 4BD1 (other than the fact it definitely needed a
    snorkel - but that's another storey) was it offered considerable vibration,
    by the time I sold it needed rewiring as the constant vibration was wearing
    the wiring through in random places from the constant rubbing against the
    panel work - was not so much a problem with the stage 1 as these were few
    electrics.

    A LROCV member put a 4BD1 in a Rangie ant it wen great - he has since
    replaced it with the 4BD1T (Turbo) and it goes much much greater !!!!!!!!

    The 4BD1 is used in the 110 4x4 Parente (Australian Army) vehicles but the
    turbo version is used in the 6x6 models (some initial trials were made with
    the naturally aspirated engine, but did not proceed)

    Richard C