Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 02:11:03 EST

    > Jean-Leon, I looked back over some of your posts from a year ago and I
    >see the Cummins 3.9BTA and 3.4-6AT. RPM was the problem with the 3.9BTA and
    >parts availability/price (as well as finding an engine) was the problem with
    >the 3.4-6AT. What is the Cummins 3.9BTA? How does it differ from the 4
    >cylinder ISB? Have you found a way to deal with the gearing to solve the
    >RPM problem? Are you relying on tire diameter to deal with the problem?
    > Also, I notice in the old posts that C. Marin Faure mentioned the
    >possibility of swapping in a Land Rover Tdi Diesel. Land Rover Owner
    >International in a recent issue made it sound like is was a semi-bolt-in
    >operation. On the other hand, East Coast Rover will not put a 300 Tdi in a
    >Series Land-Rover unless it has been converted to a coiler. They say the
    >Series axles and gearbox are not strong enough. They use the transmission
    >from the Defender for the swap and they claim it requires a great deal of
    >custom work to get the engine to fit. Does anybody know anything about this
    >swap?

    The 200 TDi will go into a series. I know one of the problems for
    the 200 TDi is with the steering relay fouling the radiator or
    intercooler, and the engine mounts aren't right. I forget what else
    there is, but the list never seemed that bad, given the difficulties
    some swaps present. I don't if you could put the a 300 TDi in or
    not. I know it's not as easy, but that doesn't mean it can't be
    done. Don't forget that if ECR sells you a chassis, axles, gearbox,
    transfer case, brakes, power steering, hydraulic martini shaker, and
    engine, at their prices they make more money (lots, lots, lots more)
    then if they just sell an engine.