Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: Frank Elson (frank.elson@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 05:14:48 EST

    Robert writes: >>>On the other hand, East Coast Rover will not put a 300 Tdi
    in a
    > Series Land-Rover unless it has been converted to a coiler. They say the
    > Series axles and gearbox are not strong enough. They use the transmission
    > from the Defender for the swap and they claim it requires a great deal of
    > custom work to get the engine to fit. Does anybody know anything about
    this
    > swap?<<<

    I spent some time at a Land Rover event a year or three ago talking to one
    of the guys working for a special department within Land Rover.
     This department was charged with working out applications for the TDi
    engine, which Land Rover rightly realised was going to be very much in
    demand as an aftermarket item.
     Anyway, long story short, Land Rover now sell a conversion kit, plus
    engine, for fitting the Tdi into a Series motor.
     Waaaay too expensive for most of us on this list, but, he told me, the
    simplest kit they produced...

    No weight issues, just a space problem fitting everything under the bonnet
    (hood) neatly.

    This kit has never been offered to the US on the grounds that you lot don't
    want diesels and the cost would go up even more.
    I am led to believe (don't know exactly as I've never ordered one) that this
    kit is available from any UK Land Rover dealer.

    Best Cheers

    Reverend Frank