Re: [lro] Forward control question

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 20:03:15 EST

    As much as this has been fun, people, I'm afraid that we're arguing the same
    points over and over. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

    Of course you can't entirely discount the information provided by broken
    parts. As Isaac said, they are a valuable and important part of the design
    process. Of course it's impossible to rely on destructive testing for design
    purposes only - too expensive, too dangerous, and extremely time consuming.

    I have thought long and hard about a 24 spline front end, with longfielded
    CVs and heavier duty axles. However, the Longfielding process doesn't appeal
    to me for a few reasons. I won't bother discussing them here, but I'll
    simply say that for a daily driven rover I can see some life issues. I don't
    think this is the answer in my case. That, and the almost prohibitive cost.

    Secondly, the rover axle case has been known to bend when coupled with
    heavier engines. I remember Bill Leacock, while discussing Perkins diesel
    conversions, telling me that bent series axle housings were a problem with
    nose heavy vehicles. I don't know if this is a problem with coiler axles,
    but since I already have a 100 lbs spare on my bonnet, a winch, a fairly
    heavy bumper, and am planning an engine swap that will add 2-300 lbs to the
    front axle, I'm quite worried about the welded steel rover housing letting
    go. The Dana design seems to be better suited to carrying heavier loads and
    the axle tubes are thicker.

    The 10 spline parts that I am using are not "abused" as was said, they are
    indeed "weak and inadequate" for my application. This has nothing to do with
    abuse in my mind. I don't abuse the vehicle, as I don't expect these parts
    to do what they are not designed for. That's why I'm in this mess - I'm
    confident that I need to upgrade these parts. I've been babying it and
    driving as smooth as I can and they have held up, however if I am in a
    situation that requires a bit of rough driving and I can't simply winch
    through, I'm worried that stuff will break. If I beat the poor thing every
    time I was off-road (like many off-road drivers so) I'd be abusing it.
    However by knowing that the parts are my weak link and trying my best to not
    break them I'm not abusing them.

    I guess the million dollar question is - why did I even bother with 10
    spline axles in the first place? Simple - brakes. I couldn't keep driving
    the rover axles after the engine swap. It was either 109 6 cyl brakes or
    discs. I picked the weaker axles with discs over the stronger axles with
    drums. I picked the safety of better brakes over axle strength - and I'm
    glad I did. Brakes are now a non-issue, and I'm not willing to give up that
    level of performance - even for a dramatic increase in axle strength. I've
    had these in for a year now, have driven them halfway across canada, and
    they have saved my bacon at least twice. I guess as much as breakage isn't
    my cup of tea, safety is even more important. At least with rangie brakes
    I'll never have to worry about stopping the beast.

    You have all brought up valuable points and I'm taking them all into
    consideration in order to come up with the best solution. Everything can be
    broken, and everything will yield given the right conditions. However, by
    using stronger parts and beefier axles I reduce the chance of being stranded
    or being stuck in the middle of nowhere. There's really no use changing
    parts out if they're not really needed, but I've read, heard and know enough
    about these axles to know that they won't hold up to a larger diesel motor
    and oversize tires.

    J-L