RE: Subject: Re: [lro] Tdi engine life?

From: Ian Gregory (ipgregory@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:25:16 EST

    > My friend had the other one go on his Discovery. Needed a
    > rebuild. I don't know exactly where it is, he said on the top
    > of the engine. It's the same size and material. I'll have a
    > look under his bonnet on Saturday and try to describe it better.

    On earlier UK Discos and all pre 95 RRcs there is a filler point into
    the heater pipes above of the LH rocker cover. It has the same plug as
    the one on the LH top of the radiator. On early RRcs this was brass,
    later ones and all Discos where plastic. If they are over tightened or
    not put back in correctly (cross threading them is easy) then they
    commonly let go. NAS Discos and 95 RRcs do not have the one on the
    engine, only the one on the radiator.

    > I have heard of some UK people finding a generic brass plug
    > (it's screw in) at a plumbing merchant and doing as I did,
    > just throwing the plastic thing away. HTH Best Cheers

    Not sure when the change over was but my 84 UK RRc had the brass plugs
    whereas my 93 had the plastic. Not sure if the threads are different
    too as I haven't tried exchanging them.

    HTH

    Ian
    http://uk.my.yahoo.com