Re: [lro] how bad did I goof? poured in diesel...

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 19:50:28 EST

    >In cold drug induced haze at 5AM this morning, I put in a gallon of diesel
    >before I realized my error. As I was going to work and need more fuel, I put
    >in 10 gallons of gas to top things off. Drove the rest of the way to work no
    >problem. I assume that was the last of the unmixed gas already in the
    >system.
    >
    >On the way home, the truck started rough and ran rough until it warmed up.
    >Every time I shifted, I got a puff of grey smoke.
    >
    >How bad did I screw up? Should I drain the tank or will I survive the
    >tankful? I will check coolant levels when the truck cools (just got in 5
    >minutes ago). Could the smoke be diesel related? I'm hoping so.

    Yeah, diesel in gas engines will smoke. Even a little bit -- I
    filled the tractor tank from a gerry can that had held diesel, but
    wasn't rinsed before being filled with gas, and it smoked something
    awful. couln't have been a pint of diesel in five gallons in fuel.
    I wouldn't do anything, except once you've burned a couple gallons
    out of the tank, top off with high test if the rough running/starting
    keeps up, and make sure the fuel filters aren't clogged after a bit.

    David