Re: [lro] Is a Series an SUV?

From: A. Maiolo (rovernut@nc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 00:34:23 EST

    I agree with Richer.
    "Hell no". Not an SUV.
    SUVs are fine, I guess, but I drive a VW Jetta Wagon daily, and it hauls
    stuff, and takes me fishing when the Landie isn't along on the trip. It's
    really safe and gets great gas milage.
    I drive the LR for fun, hobbie, special purpose, and because I can fix it.
    Most of the time it hauls the trash to the dump, takes me on my errands on
    weekends and when I can, I get it into the woods for camping or fishing. I
    would not recommend even a basic 110, much less an 88, for grocery runs or
    taking the kids to ballet, unless they are really cool damn kids and they
    demand it. There are just better vehicles for that kind of thing.
    LRs are built for business. If I had to class it with something more common,
    I place it next to a pickup truck or something like that. They aren't
    considered SUVs, right?
    I like the earlier suggestion of calling it a Utility Vehicle or "UV" (no
    's')
    ...or perhaps a Utility/Masochist's Vehicle. Then we could all refer to it
    as an "Um-Vee".

    Alex Maiolo
    Chapel Hill NC