Re: [lro] Gasflowing

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 10:06:54 EST

    On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 14:40, Kirk Hillman wrote:

    > Okay, if Gasflowing = porting, then I suspect there are no specs one could
    > give a local person to do the job is there? I was simply thinking that
    > anyone could carefully smooth things out themselves (round sharp corners,
    > etc.) but a good porting job is much different. If ACR and Turner have a
    > 'system' it couldn't really be duplicated could it? While I know there are
    > many shops around that will port my head they know about top end rather than
    > keeping the power as low as possible. I have a spare head to play with...
    > any suggestions?
    Porting (Gasflowing) is all about transfering the maximum amount of
    fuel-mixture into the chamber in the best possible condition, and
    expelling it as efficiently as possible.

    This is why ACR have a special exhaust section: it has no baffles and
    the vent-pipe is bigger than normal - it all reduces the build-up of
    pressure in the exhaust manifolds (note: you want *some* pressure, just
    not much..)

    It's also why good exhaust systems have fancy exhaust manifolds - to
    make sure the exhaust distances are equal for all pistons (it's to do
    with wave-propogation and stuff, apparently)

    With the exhaust system, as smooth as possible means a faster flow, and
    no eddies slowing things down.

    On the inlet side, you want the inlet pipework to have the same length
    for each piston; wou want the fuel/air mixture to be as vapourised as
    possible (hence the slightly rough surface); and you want a carb that
    can breath as much air as possible.

    For top-end speed (and acceleration), you want all the components to be
    light.

    For bottom-end grunt, you want the maximum mass possible for the
    flywheel, but light pistons & con-rods.

    ... oh, and you want everything to be perfectly balanced...

    --
    --==++
    Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

    Information is not knowledge Knowledge is not wisdom Wisdom is not truth Truth is not beauty Beauty is not love Love is not music -- Mary.