Re: [lro] Gasflowing

From: christian147@juno.com
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 19:27:45 EST

    Well the design process goes something like this.

    Choose RPM for peak power

    determine peak air flow at that RPM.

    Determine area that will give you a air flow velocity of 690 FPS at peak
    air flow, this is minimum area of the port also called choke, critical
    choke, critical area.

    Choke should be 1/4 cylinder volume up the intake port from the valve, so
    take 571 cc's of ATF and put it in the intake port, tilt the head till
    the level is perpendicular to the axis of the port and mark it in the
    port wall.

    The intake valve seat inside diameter should be sized for 610 FPS at peak
    air flow, so the walls from the choke to the valve seat should smoothly
    taper, but you need some flow bench time to design the shape. I use
    Flow-Pro and potot readings to map flow in the port, I also use a dummy
    valve with a hole drilled into the seat face and up the stem connected to
    a manometer so as I rotate the valve the mano readings tell me where the
    air is flowing over the valve. That helps shape the port, but it is
    still a smooth divergence from choke to valve.

    Up stream from the choke will be set by your intake runner length. A
    good starting place would be size the mouth of the runner to give 350
    FPS at peak flow and just a straight taper down to the choke. this
    should give you a divergence of something less then 7 deg..

    As for the actual grinding, I make a full sized drawing and measure
    dimensions every 1/4 inch, then use snap gauges to check the work.

    Chris Hall

    So that is a start. It usually gives a good broad torque band.