Re: [lro] adding alpine windows to hard top...

From: John Karlsson (karlsson@oco.net)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 11:03:20 EST

    >Aside from that pearl of the obvious;
    >The Lisle #4700 lacing tool is absolutely necessary. I did my Range Rover
    >windshield without one about five years ago, and had little trouble. I used
    >the multiple screwdriver method, and strength as I had when I was 18. On the
    >gripping hand, I worried at a pair of alpine seals just a month ago for
    >several days and had no joy, just aching fingers. I bought the tool, and used
    >plenty of hand lotion, and completed each side in ten minutes or less. For
    >about 15 bucks it looks real good on the shelf. One tool has four sizes of
    >lacing, and adjusts for various angles of grip.

    When I replaced the gaskets on my Alpine windows, I made a tool to install
    the locking bead. You just take a cotter pin of appropriate size to allow
    the bead to pass through, and a bit of wood (e.g., a section of broomstick,
    which might be purloined from SWMBO's flying machine) drilled to permit
    insertion of the cotter pin will suffice for a handle. If you want to be
    really sophisticated about it (as I did ;^} ), you need to bend the pin
    just so to make the job easier.

    John Karlsson
    956 Main Street
    P.O. Box 1023