Re: [lro] Boston/NE area - anyone got a junk right SIII wing?

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 13:58:12 EST

    >Alan J. Richer wrote:
    >>Not to
    >>disparage Marin's approach (it sounds quite handsome in its
    >>implementation), but the thought of spending $$$$ on
    >>aircraft-rated components for a Rover wing gives me chills.
    >>

    >Might be cheaper than you think. All you need to find is an un-airworthy cowl.
    >Searching around the 'Net for used aircraft parts might find you
    >something quite cheaply.
    >
    >It's not necessarily that aircraft parts are better, just that the
    >long paper trail makes them much more expensive. The Cessna hinge
    >Marin mentioned, and the flush spring button release both of us
    >mentioned are also probably available from non-aircraft suppliers.
    >Most parts like these were originally made for the automobile
    >industry in the '40s and '50s. For example, My understanding is the
    >door release in my Piper is the same part as a '54 Ford door release.

    Things like Dzus self-ejecting quarter-turn panel fasteners are used
    by racers, and racer wannabes, for much the same reason that aircraft
    use them. So they're available in non-certified versions, not
    terribly expensively. For instance Dzus fasteners go for $3 or $4 a
    pop. A bit on the expensive side, but you only need one.

    David