Re: [lro] 2.25 compression ratio

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 14:15:49 EST

    This is an exerpt from Richard Turner of Turner
    Engineering fame. Believe the figure they are talking
    about is the amount to mill a 8-1 head.

            I would like to reiterate that we cater for the day
    to day motorist who generally wants a vehicle that
    drives better, returns improved fuel economy and is
    reliable. We do not cater for the racing market as
    this is a totally different area of the market place.
    However one of our cylinder heads was used with great
    success in the Mintex ralley by an Army entrant. The
    only difference to our gasflowed spec was that the
    head was also skimmed by .080". This was their 2nd
    entry. The previous year they ran a LR with a head at
    -.080 but no gasflowing. They said the improvement by
    gasflowing was tremendous and that the vehicle also
    used significantly less fuel per stage than the
    previous year. We can produce this kind of head in
    large numbers at little additional cost to the
    customer, but decline to do so because of difficulties
    that customers will experience with push rod geometry,
    heads fouling waterpump housings, detonation on poor
    quality fuel and other technical queries that we
    simply do not have time to deal with.
            There is also some doubt as to what thickness of
    cylinder head represents 9:1. I have a customer from
    the racing industry that wants a 9:1 head and has done
    some research with an American company that has been
    involved with LPG since 1967 who claims that the best
    CR for LPG is 9 to 9.25:1. He has instructed us to
    remove .067" from his cylinder head, which he has
    advised us represents 9:1CR . Imagine the embarassment
    of supplying large numbers of cylinder heads into the
    market that are in actual fact significantly higher
    than 9:1 if you have got your sums wrong. Especially
    the American market is unmerciful towards perceived
    poor quality or technical difficulty.

    The following is a post by Hank Rutherford from some
    years ago on the different heads and dimensions.

    "H.Rutherford" <ruthrfrd@borg.com>
    A while back I modified a 7:1 head to 8:1 specs. In
    doing so, I collected
    some interesting info. Here goes:
       7:1 head is 3.700 in thick, chamber volume is 91
    cc.
       8:1 head is 3.600 in. thick, chamber volume is 75.2
    cc
       7:1 pushrod length overall, 7.300 in
       8:1 pushrod length 7.175 in overall (some parts
    suppliers are not able to
    tell you the difference between pushrods, just that
    they are different)
       Within the range of our interest, there is about
    1.2 cc change in volume
    per .010 in. change in thickness
        Milling .100 in. makes a 7:1 head 8:1. Almost
    exactly.
        Head gasket volume and volume above the piston
    crown is 4.25 cc.
        Swept volume of one cylinder is 571.5 cc.
        I sawed a 7:1 head into slices to measure casting
    thickness. I discovered that there is little material
    left between the waterways and the head face after
    milling the required .100 in. IMHO, I would NOT dvise
    going any further as I doubt the head would hold up
    for long, I imagine cracks would develop on the head
    face. If you want a 9:1 CR, use an 8:1 head. The
    castings are definitely different, a stock 8:1 head
    has the same metal thickness in critical areas as a
    stock 7:1 before machining.
       I would advise obtaining a burette for measuring
    combustion chamber volume to be sure you don't go too
    far with CR. I can provide more info on
    CC'ing if you need it.
       If you modify a 7:1 to 8:1, use 8:1 pushrods.
    Otherwise the rocker geometry is off, and the
    possibility of fouling the rocker exists. By rocker
    geometry, I mean the angle that the rocker arm
    contacts the tip of the valve stem. If the longer
    pushrods are used in place of the shorter (correct)
    ones, the rocker arm depresses the valve with it's
    very tip, concentrating wear and forces at a place
    where the rocker was not designed to be operated.
    This can cause premature wear of the valve stem,
    unusual wear of the rocker
    arm, and failure (breakage) in extreme cases.
       Jim Allen is the guy who has the most info of
    anyone I have talked with, and I believe he monitors
    this list. Hope this is of some help.
    H. Rutherford
    '62 SerIIa SWB
    "Gromit" ported 8:1 CR

    AFAIK, there is no difference in the 8-1 and 7-1 heads
    in the later (after '62 or so) castings. Rover just
    mills an extra .100 off to raise the compression. The
    later castings can be identified by an extended head
    bolt boss in the area of the carburetor. Believe Hank
    is talking about the non extended boss head when he
    says 7-1 head in the above. It is doubtful that many
    of the early heads are still around as they seemed to
    crack fairly easily even when milled to 7-1 specs.
    I've got one but it was cracked and welded. I haven't
    been able to find any of the longer 7-1 pushrods
    despite all my engines originally being 7-1
    compression. Might be that the longer push rods were
    phased out with the Series two engines or maybe even
    earlier.

    There may be several later type castings, btw. Seem
    to remember a post from ACR that mentions several
    different casting numbers with the latter being more
    robust and better for going beyond 8-1 compression.
    Might want to check with ACR about that or possibly
    Bill has the info.

    Aloha
    Peter O.