Re: [lro] problem shifting my Series III

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 02:18:29 EST

    >On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Jean-Leon Morin wrote:
    >>
    >> Seriously, having had to bleed the SIII master that Valdez had a long time
    >> ago, I find the SIIA access hole one of the best rover ideas ever.
    >
    >Its the price I paid for synchromesh.

    Wimp!

    >BTW, I just slugged my old clutch slave cylinder instead of the new SIII
    >one, there is a slight difference in length. The mounting plate seems to
    >be set back a bit further. It seems to work OK, but I am
    >a bit worried about losing the clutch as it takes very high and I fear I
    >might lose it all together. Would it be sufficient to put a shim in to set
    >the push rod closer to its original position.

    I don't really know what the SIII linkage looks like, having only
    worked on one once several years ago, but on the II/IIA, the push rod
    has threads on it. The end that isn't in contact with the slave
    threads into a fitting, so you can adjust the length. There's a spec
    in the manual. Perhaps it can be adjusted?