Re: [lro] Military tank needed & body parts FS

From: Richard Joltes (djoltes@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 15:05:28 EST

    Peter wrote:

    [...]

    >Anyway, I've been out of the loop for a few years, so
    >I've lost track about parts suppliers.
    >
    >I'm wondering if it's worth the shipping to buy
    >overseas and which dealers are honest.

    Most seem honest but can often be notoriously unresponsive.
    I deal with Craddock and Autopost on a regular basis...nice
    folk in general, but I've experienced some annoying delays
    based on availability at Craddocks.

    You might also want to talk to Thatched Roof Garage (at
    http://www.thatchedroofgarage.com) or Rovers Down South
    (http://www.roversdownsouth.com/) to see if they have or can
    get military tanks. Their prices can be significantly lower
    than some of the better known suppliers in the US.

    >I need to replace my military tank - unless anyone
    >knows a place in the US who will repair such a thing.
    >
    >I also need a left military fender front panel.

    You said 'military' and '88' in the same sentence...is it
    an Airportable or a standard Series car? If the former it
    may be tough to obtain a new wing (fender); otherwise it
    shouldn't be difficult at all.

    >I also need springs and probably shocks - suggestions?
    >I remember hearing some of the US dealers sell second
    >quality springs that go flat quickly.

    The subject of springs can start a major discussion as there
    are many options...stock vs parabolic vs. coiler conversion.
    If you have stock military springs and want a softer ride on
    leaf springs, I think (someone correct this if I'm wrong)
    that you can change over to civvy leaves to loosen things a
    bit. Some people swear by parabolics, others seem to swear
    at them. I run stock military springs so I can't offer much
    advice, though.

    >Do the mean green starter motors make a difference in
    >cold weather? I might need to replace mine and was
    >thinking about something with more punch if that is
    >what it is.

    I have a stock starter in my Airportable (standard 2.25
    engine) and have no problems on cold days in Pennsylvania.
    If you're having difficulty you might want to rebuild the
    existing unit or check your starting/charging system for
    bad connections and so forth.

    cheers,

    dj
    1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'