Re: [lro] Military tank needed & body parts FS

From: Rich Williams (lndrvr1@nwlink.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:44:18 EST

    > Anyone know a place in the northeast that will do hot
    > dip galvanizing? I want to galvanize my door frames -
    > has anyone done that - will they warp?

    Hi Peter,

    Welcome back to rovers.

    This shouldn't be a problem. I just had all 5 of my door frames sand
    blasted and galvanized this past late spring or summer. The other option is
    to acid strip before galvanizing but make sure there are plenty of drain
    holes for the stripper to drain from so that when galvanizing there isn't a
    reaction producing enough gas to distort (or puff) the hollow door frames.
    Anyone who doesn't think this can happen should see the 109 coil conversion
    frame Gord'n Perrot had galvanized a while back. Acid stripped then hot
    dipped, and not one immediately right after the other. When the frame came
    back from the galvanizer on of the long sides was completely ballooned out.
    I suspect Gord'n can fix the frame but what a pain in the ass!

    Rich,