[lro] Vacuum Leak--Not--Problem Solved

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 05:10:12 EST

    Thanks to those who pointed out my error in vacuum gauge methodology. The
    problem has been solved.

    Last night when I put the car away it would not start again. I chalked it up
    to perhaps flooding or being too hot, but had never had that problem before.
    This morning I got up and tried to start it, same problem. I got out and
    squeezed and tugged the condensor connection outside the dist. on a hunch. Car
    started. I suspected the connection, so I cut off one connector, stripped it,
    and wrapped it around the other and covered it in tape. Drove down the street,
    no evidence of a problem. Got on the main street, opened it up a bit, started
    to stutter on acceleration, then would smooth out. As I neared the market it
    started cutting out totally, almost like I was out of gas. Finally, as I
    slowed down to make a turn, it died. Would not start. Now I was sure it was
    not carb related. I pulled the condensor out, took a bus down the street and
    found a matching Lucas condensor, walked back, installed it, bingo! Runs like
    a top now. This is the second time this has happened so, I wonder if there is
    something in my wiring system. I wouldn't have a clue where to look. I bought
    a spare condensor just in case. In both cases of condensor failure the
    symptoms were similar--sporadic, unpredictable, and slowly worsening over
    time, but with symptomless periods. It kind of crept up on me until one day
    you know something is really wrong. Once it gets to the no start stage it
    will start again when cool.

    As for the Rochester, I love it. Despite having the 7:1 there is definitely
    more oomph, and it idles very sweetly. I haven't had a chance to see if there
    is any increase in top-end speed, will check that out later. I have heard my
    mileage might suffer, but my previous Zenith since new never did run right and
    ran pretty rich, so I wonder if I will get worse mileage or not. Will let you
    know when I fill up next. Someone asked about the linkage setup. I will talk
    about that in a separate note. Thanks again to all who took the time to
    provide advice.

    Regards,

    John