[lro] Rochester Linkage + Installation

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 05:33:07 EST

    Although TerriAnne has a very helpful Rochester page (among many) on her site,
    I will recount my experience. I have a 1975 SIII 109 2.25 RHD (UK style). It
    was equipped with a Zenith with the adapter base. I used the single barrel
    30.9 venturi, manual choke B model Rochester recommended. It came equipped
    with a #51 jet. Over here I was able to source a brass insert with a gradiated
    nozzle for hose to install in the vaccum port, and another brass insert for
    the gas to go in. The carb didn't come with these so get those before you
    leave the store if they are not there. Jets are very easy to access, just
    remove four screws on the cover. No linkage to fiddle with to get the cover
    off. The jet is very tiny but easily recognizable, and if you have Superman
    vision you may see the number stamped on it. I removed the Zenith, and left
    the phenolic block that sat under the adaptor in place. I removed the metal
    cylinder that fits inside the phenolic block. I didn't have a Rochester block
    or gasket handy so I cut two myself out of thick gasket material and installed
    them between the phenolic block and carb, careful to make a passage for the
    little hole at the base of the Rochester-again as TerriAnne helpfully pointed
    out. The bolt holes are a tad narrow, so I rushed down to my local machine
    shop to have those lengthened a bit over lunch. Once that is done it just
    slips on the studs like it was made for it. The air cleaner tube fits right on
    with no problem. Now the problem is that the Zenith lever pulls downward to
    accelerate, but the Rochester pulls up. Here is the solution. Remove the
    linkage. Take off the bell-crank (terminology?) by removing the bolt that
    holds it to the inner fender or whatever. Remove the long lever and the short
    lever and flip them around so that when installed the long lever will be
    pointing to the firewall. What you want it to have it do is push up on the
    short linkage gizmo so that it is a straight shot to push up the lever. The
    two tabs on the long lever must be bent the other way to enclose the short
    lever just as it did when installed the right way. Reasemble with the spring,
    inner spindle, washer, and cotter pin, reinstall. Spin it around so that it is
    pushing pretty much straight up on the Rochester lever, and tighten the nut.
    The short linkage gizmo (name?) will have to be adjusted, I think shortened in
    my case. The other long rod worked just fine. You may also need to adjust the
    arm on the long rod (perhaps on RHD only) that connects the pedal action to
    the linkage action, but that is easy. Here is a tip I discovered. If the
    little ends that stick out of the gizmo are gunked up or if they have been
    adjusted too tight they will cause the linkage action to hang up enough so
    that on return from acceleration it may not go all the way down to idle. The
    trick for them is to have them loose enough to spin freely, but not loose
    enough to fall or be pulled out.

    To sum up:

    Get the right carb-British Pacific and TerriAnn have helpful pages on id'ing
    the right model. 30.9mm venturi!
    Widen the base holes to fit.
    Remove adapter, Keep phenolic block, remove metal cyclinder. (assuming
    previous Zenith installation)
    Use a gasket or two between carb and phenolic block. Be careful that tiny hole
    in carb base is not blocked.
    Take the bell crank off, flip the levers around, bend the tabs that enclose
    the short lever in opposite direction so they will enclose it as before.
    Reinstall and spin till you have it so that it will push the Rochester lever
    straight up.
    Connect your linkage, gas line, vacuum hose, and air cleaner assy, and that's
    it. Can be done in under an hour easy. Is much easier with adequate lighting
    and no mosquitos, but can be done without good lighting and being bitten to
    death.

    If I have stated anything inaccurate, just plain wrong or left anything out
    please jump in!

    Regards,

    John