RE: [lro] Vacuum Leak--Not--Problem Solved

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 14:23:45 EST

    John,

    What coil are you running? If it's a "performance" coil, that might be your prob. Use a stock unbiased Lucas coil for best results, (or Bosch, or a Pertronics coil if using the Pertronics ignition. A biased coil adds a capacitor to the coils circuit, effectively boosting the current, potentially several magnitudes beyond a stock coil's output of around 30000 volts. This is not necessarily a good thing for a stock LR's ignition - condensors/points/cap/rotor/wires.)
    Condensors can often be of poor quality too. If you find one that works well, retain it, rather than change it, when you change the points or perform a tune-up.

    John said:
     This is the second time this has happened so, I wonder if there is
    something in my wiring system. I wouldn't have a clue where to look. I bought
    a spare condensor just in case. In both cases of condensor failure the
    symptoms were similar--sporadic, unpredictable, and slowly worsening over
    time, but with symptomless periods.
    As for the Rochester, I love it. Despite having the 7:1 there is definitely
    more oomph, and it idles very sweetly. I haven't had a chance to see if there
    is any increase in top-end speed, will check that out later.

    The Roch is a sweetly simple carb. The 'oomph' comes from a higher flow rate than the Solex , Zenith or Webers. I ran one for several years on my 7:1, 2.25 SIII-88. My mileage hovered around 15-17 mpg on the hwy, lower in city and offroad. Easy to altitude-tune with available jets (stocked by BP). Tan plugs are a good thing.
    The only problem I encountered with the Roch was a tendency to stall when idling at extreme side angles. And it was a bit tall for the stock snorkel/oil bath setup (at least with a 'dished' deluxe bonnet.)

    JT/ric