Re: [lro] Vacuum Leak?

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 11:38:54 EST

    On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 01:26 AM, John M. Baker wrote:

    > The motor idles perfectly, and when revved stationary doesn't miss a
    > beat.

    <<SNIP>>

    > however....it ocassional stutters. What is frustrating is that this
    > doesn't
    > seem to follow any discernible pattern other than when moving.
    > Sometimes I can
    > accelerate rapidly with no problem, other times I am going along in
    > first or
    > second when it happens.

    That is a sign of a lean condition. With a 51 main jet I would first
    look for a vacume leak. If you have power brakes, could be a leak in
    the vacume booster diaphragm. Maybe you did not get a good carb base
    seal? How about a leak in the distributor vacume advance?

    > A few moments ago I dug out an old vacuum gauge, connected to the
    > outlet on the carb...and just about 0 registered. Accelerating moved
    > the
    > needle upwards to mid-range, but at idle, nada.

    That's strange. A vacume gauge should read highest at idle and go
    towards zero under acceleration. I suspect your gauge or methodology.

    > I check this out with my
    > thumb, and sure enough could not detect any vacuum. Surely there
    > should be
    > some vacuum, so I am I correct in assuming I have an inlet leak
    > somewhere?

    If there were no vacume in the intake manifold whilst the engine was
    running the engine would not be running. Your engine is a 2.25L air
    pump that sucks air into the cylinders then pushes it out through the
    exhaust. If an engine is healthy enough to run you must be drawing air
    into the cylinders and there must be a lower pressure downstream of the
    venturi than there is upstream.

    Any chance your hole is plugged or that it goes someplace other than
    where you think?

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.