[lro] Vacuum Leak?

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 04:26:23 EST

    Last night I finally figured out the linkage for the Rochester as I mentioned
    in my second of two posts. The motor idles perfectly, and when revved
    stationary doesn't miss a beat. Pulled a plug and it was a brownish tan, which
    was different from the pitch black state with the Zenith, and the copious
    black exhaust cloud when accelerating has disappeared. When driving it is
    clear that the Rochester has given the motor an HP boost, very noticeable,
    however....it ocassional stutters. What is frustrating is that this doesn't
    seem to follow any discernible pattern other than when moving. Sometimes I can
    accelerate rapidly with no problem, other times I am going along in first or
    second when it happens. All ignition parts have been replaced and the motor
    tuned, and the fuel pump was replaced as well and appears to be pumping
    adequately. A few moments ago I dug out an old vacuum gauge, connected to the
    outlet on the carb...and just about 0 registered. Accelerating moved the
    needle upwards to mid-range, but at idle, nada. I check this out with my
    thumb, and sure enough could not detect any vacuum. Surely there should be
    some vacuum, so I am I correct in assuming I have an inlet leak somewhere?
    Valves were adjusted a while back but have always been OK so far, and the
    cylinders all came in at 140 when luke-warm (not hot like as it should have
    been done), within normal range for a 7:1.

    I would appreciate any comments on this logic, or alternative scenarios. I
    would like to check this out by running some propane by the intake manfold to
    see if the engine revs up, but cannot find the damn thing! I would like to
    hear from list members before I remove the intake manifold and/or look
    elsewhere for leaks. Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    John
    Bangkok
    1975 SIII 109 2.25 Petrol