Re: [lro] Could be worse... Little Rover content...

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 03:11:51 EST

    >Interesting weekend at work... No Land-Rover content
    >
    >Jeep owner shows up on our doorstep this morning, requesting a brake
    >inspection. 1996 Jeep TJ, with serious brake issues. I was thinking blown
    >brakeline, from the symptoms described (mush pedal) however I was quite
    >puzzled by the fact that the handbrake wasn't working and there was a
    >clanking noise coming from the left rear.
    >
    >Imagine our surprise when we found that the backing plate had sheared and
    >torn itself to shreds, ripping brakeline off and tearing off the parking
    >brake cable. The backing plate was merrily spinning at axle speed, inside
    >the drum, with shoes, wheel cylinder and adjusters still in place (sort of).
    >The inside of the backing plate (which bolts on with 4 bolts) was still
    >affixed to the axle tube, and the outside ring to which the wheel cylinder
    >and shoes attach, completely seperated in a torn mess of sheet metal.
    >
    >Kind of an odd failure mode. No excessive sitting time that would have
    >caused a rust buildup, he was stopping normally and "crunch".

    when I was at the heavy-duty truck parts place a couple months ago,
    having U-bolts made, a guy came in with a brake drum off a
    semi-tractor. Well, about half of it, anyway. Half of the outside
    diameter was missing.
    The counter guy asked where the rest of it was, and they guy said
    "About Gary, apparently." I wouldn't want that hunk of cast iron
    falling off a truck in front of me!