[lro] Re: Wiper switch

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 01:43:52 EST

    From: "Paul Schultz" <pschultz@vcmails.com>
    To: <lro@koan.team.net>
    Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 00:04:43 -0500
    Subject: [lro] Wiper switch

    >What type of switch should I have for my wipers? Currently, I have a
    standard Lucas flip switch. I have a washer reservoir and pump installed
    under the bonnet but can't get it to work. In the Series III green bible, it
    shows a 'knob' style switch.

    Bill Fishel's description applies to my SIII as well, which I bought new in
    1973. The wiper motor control is a knurled rotary knob with off, normal,
    and high speed postions (rotates to the right), plus push-in to activate
    the washer motor in either of the two speed positions. Unlike most
    vehicles today, pushing in the knob does not activate the wipers for a
    short time as well as the washer. All it does is send power to the washer
    pump.

    The heater switch is a three-position, plastic-handled toggle switch. Up
    is off, middle is low, and down is high. All it does is regulate the speed
    of the squirrel cage fan. The toggle switch has no function regarding the
    temperature of the heater air. This is controlled, to use the term loosly,
    by the blue-red slider knob at the side of the instrument panel which is
    connected through a choke-type cable to the heater valve on top of the
    thermostat housing at the front of the engine.

    I say "use the term loosly" because it's been my experience with two heater
    valves, the factory original and a replacement I recently installed, that
    there is no real middle ground between no heat and full heat. The valve
    certainly operates as if it should regulate the flow of hot water to the
    heat exchanger, but in function it seems to be more of an on or off
    situation. I've found the heat output to be adequate for the climate
    conditions encountered here in the Pacific Northwest, at least in the
    driver's compartment, and there have even been times when it would have
    been nice to turn down the heat a little bit. However, moving the slider
    up doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect until a point is reached when
    the hot water flow is more or less shut off, at which time the air from the
    heater rapidly becomes the same temperature as the outside air.

    It's certainly possible there may be a problem with my heater, but it's
    operated this way from day one, and the recent change of the heater control
    valve has made no difference. It's no big deal, but if this is the normal
    characteristic of the Smiths SIII heater, don't expect BMW-type control
    over the air temperature.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88