Re: [lro] More Power!

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 14:24:34 EST

    > One possibility you might consider is is a 4.1 R&P gear ratio It is a
    > gearing step in-between stock & the Roverdrive.

        The Roverdrive is ridiculously expensive in my opinion but it has a two
    distinct advantages over different R&P's and Ashcroft gears in the T-case.
    A lower numerical gear ratio in the differential will certainly make you go
    faster (provided there is enough power), but that holds true all the time...
    even in low range when you WANT to go really slow. I believe the Ashcroft
    kit only changes the high range so it is better in that respect. Ignoring
    money I would choose the Roverdrive because your higher gearing is only
    there when you want it. The other big benefit which I don't think can be
    overstated is the ability to split gears. Now, with the Fairey OD it
    wouldn't be a good idea to split 1st or 2nd because the torque is too great.
    The Roverdrive should be useful for all gears. Many times I have used the
    Fairey where I shouldn't have off road because it put the RPM's in the sweet
    spot for a climb. Everything just seems so much smoother when the engine
    isn't working as hard or revving to the moon.
        If you are even a little money conscious go for the Ashcroft gears over
    the Roverdrive if you off-road at all. If you don't get off the tarmac the
    R&P swap is probably the easiest.

    Kirk