Re: [lro] More Power!

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 10:20:25 EST

    > After owning my 109 SW for 1 month I definitely plan on upgrading the
    > engine. I just don't feel safe driving in modern traffic. I won't even
    > consider the expressways!

    I guess I'm a little slower in the brain department than you. It took
    me 19 years of driving a 109 plus being forced off the road by an 18
    wheeler into a field at around 45 -50 MPH to reach the same conclusion.

    > ...and of course, gearbox/transfer case considerations will also be
    > made.
    > I'm leaning toward the Ashcroft hi speed transfer case. The Rover Drive
    > sounds nice. But, the Ashcroft would do the job as well and comes a
    > little
    > cheaper!

    You might ask those who drive Mercruiser conversions What RPMs the
    engine likes to cruise at, where it feels strongest and when does it
    start to sound like the rev's are too high for long distances cruising.
      If people give you speeds instead or RPM's find out their gearing and
    wheel dia. 88s run smaller tyres out of the box than 109s.

    Once you find out the sweet RPM range for the engine, then you should
    start considering your gearing options to meet your new engine's
    ability to move the 109 the speeds you desire at the altitude and
    terrain you live in.

    One possibility you might consider is is a 4.1 R&P gear ratio It is a
    gearing step in-between stock & the Roverdrive.

    The Ashcroft kit high range ratio is very close to that of a 3.54 R&P
    conversion. If ya can't the one ya can't push the other.

    My current guesstimate is that you want at least 120ish hp with good
    low end torque to push a 109 station wagon with 32 inch dia wheels.
    When I went searching for an engine for my upgrade, I set my goal for a
    minimum of 140 reliable HP. But I drive a 109 class B RV with weighs a
    tad more than most other series rigs. An Ashcroft kit on stock dia
    wheels will put you very slightly over 3000 PM at 65 MPH.

    Basically find out what the optimum engine RPM range is for highway
    cruising and gear accordingly. Being able to split gears comes in real
    handy with most 4 cylinder engines. Also you might consider one of the
    LR five speed gearboxes. Ifn's you have deep pockets the NV5400 is
    being used in some 109's with excellent results.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.