[lro] Speedo

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 17:11:42 EST

    Bill wrote; The number represents the number of revolutions per mile of
    the speedo
    cable.

    John wrote !Bill, is that quite correct?... 1408 x 8.22' =
    11573.76'.../5280 ft per mile = 2.19 miles, so my assumption was indeed
    incorrect So it would appear that the speedo cable must turn 1 rev per
    every 2 revs of the wheel. Since the speedo drive energy is derived from
    friction, how is this ratio actually accomplished?

     I think it is Magnetism, not friction that plays a role in the speedo
    operation. The odometer is operated through a clockwork mechanism and
    geneva wheels.
     You neglected the influence of the differential ratio and the speedo
    worm gear drive ratio in your calculations too.

     Regards
     Bill Leacock