Re: [lro] Replacement for SIII heater fan

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 20:45:04 EST

    >It seems my heater fan gave up the ghost today. Only reasonable since it's
    >-15C outside... Anyway, does somebody know of a suitable replacement from
    >a breaker, preferably from a European or Japanese car? (We don't get many
    >American cars in Norway, though my father's got a '50 Buick and a 72 (?)
    >Ford Galaxie).

    Do you have self-service breakers where you are? The sort where you
    can wander around and find one that fits and then yank it yourself?
    That's probably the easiest thing to do. If not, and no one has a
    likely donor recommendation, I'd try an industrial supplier (in the
    US, I'd tell you Grainger, McMaster-Carr, MSC or the like.) They
    will have a selection of 12V motors, one of which will likely match
    the mounting pattern of your existing motor (they come in standard
    sizes). You put your existing squirrel cage on the motor's shaft
    (you may need to modify one or the other, or use a bushing).
    Depending on your supplier, you may have a choice of speed and power.
    You want about 2000 RPM, and not a whole lot of power -- the last one
    I got this way was about 1/33 horsepower.

    David