Re: [lro] [OT] Joining cast and PVC pipe

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 09:48:38 EST

    Hi, Nick - i just had to do this outdoors in a 4-foot-deep
    hole...no fun.

    What you have is 4" cast iron pipe - they measure the ID,
    not the OD. OD is different because of the material
    differences.

    If you actually have a flange on the cast iron to work with
    then you could easily do it the way it's been done
    traditionally for cold joints. Instead of pouring lead on
    oakum you can simply pack the joint with oakum, then ram
    lead wool down on top of that instead of pouring hot lead.

    Talk to your plumbing supplier - it's still available near
    as I know. Soil pipe joints are not rocket science, but
    they are labor intensive.

    If you don't have a remaining hub on the cast iron, I have
    found the rubber boots with worm clamps to be very
    effective. Lubricate the joints with soapy water when
    assembling and don't overtighten the worm clamps.

                ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com