[lro] [OT] Joining cast and PVC pipe

From: Nick Danger (nick@hackermonkey.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 09:16:57 EST

    I ask here because you guys know everything :-)

    How do I join new PVC to old cast iron for drain pipe?

    More details: 4.5" (?) drain sticking from my floor. The cleanout has
    since rotted away, so I have a nice new peice of 4" PVC with a cleanout.
    The flange on the cast has all be cleared of old lead and oakum. But
    there is a BIG gap between 4 and 4.5" inches. (At least I think its
    4.5", Im not at home now and dont remember, but its bigger then 4" but
    smaller then 5". So thats a good approximation for the question.) What
    do I fill this gap in with/mount the PVC into the pipe with? The rubber
    "Cast to PVC" adapters never seem to fit right, if at all.

    Remember I have some tools but I am not going to start melting lead in a
    cauldron and I dont have a welder or anything. Mostly hand tools. I am
    hoping for some magic glue. I do know that Liquid Nails wont work :-)

    -Nick