Re: [lro] [OT] Joining cast and PVC pipe

From: Larry Smith (lodelane@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 09:32:03 EST

    Nick,

    Need to get a chain cutter. Looks like a motorcycle chain with small disks
    like glass cutter disks where the normal gear tooth rollers should be. Has
    a ratcheting mechanism to tighten the chain. Use this to cut off the cast
    pipe just below the flange by repeatedly tightening the ratchet. Works to
    force the disks into the brittle cast and makes a clean, square break. A
    plumbing store should be able to rent one to you.

    Also at the plumbing store, they will have cast to PVC make ups. It is a
    rubber tube with a stainless wrap to go around it. Put the rubber around
    the cast, then set the PVC into the other end. The stainless wrap seals it
    all down with stainless jubilee clips. This is a pretty standard pipe make
    up in older houses here in the former colonies.

    Best regards and Merry Christmas!

    Larry Smith
    Chester, Virginia
    Former Colonies