[lro] Re: re vacuum pump on diesel

From: offroaddesign@softhome.net
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 14:29:08 EST

>> My new diesel engine for the repower is finally in my garage. I am in the
>> process of mapping out my plan of attack before turning any wrenches. One
>> of the voids I currently have is vacuum for the brake booster. My engine
>> does not have a vacuum pump driven from the timing gears. I could add one
>> running off the serpentine belt that currently only runs the alternator.
>>
>> Anybody that's been down this road have any advice or pump sources?

If you are converting to power steering you might want to check out using a
GM hydroboost brake booster. This is a hydraulic servo that works off the
P/S pump. My 109 has absolutely no need for vacuum and has power brakes with
this system, and the pedal effort is very minimal. It is very easy to adapt
this piece to the stock SIII pedal tower, however it does require massaging
the wing a bit. This is not for the meek of heart as it requires modifying
the one and only link between the pedal and the master cylinder. If this
breaks you die.

Peter Hope has this arrangement on drum brake axles, and I have it on Rangie
disc axles, both seem to work well. Pete had some problems with the wheel
cylinders exploding due to the extreme line pressures, but I think he's
fixed that now.

If you need more info I'll be glad to help, e mail me off list if you like

offroaddesign(AT)softhome.net

J-L