Re: [lro] Painting with DuPont

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 13:53:03 EST

    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't PPG an industrial coating much harder
    and thus brittle than an alkyd enamel? A year ago when I first started
    looking into painting I intended to use a super tough two-part coating until
    I was advised it wouldn't be good for a vehicle body. The problem is that
    while we want a tough finish to put up with the abuse we give it, a brittle
    finish will crack rather than flex on say... a rear tub corner that gets
    smashed. So my thinking is that it's good for thicker metal objects and
    thinner ones not exposed to extreme distortions.
        If the advice I was given is incorrect I would be very happy because I
    know of two industrial finishes that are much cheaper and/or tougher than
    DuPont Centari. They also happen to be resistant to brake fluid. Oh, and I
    can get them at contractor prices since my regular supplier sells them!

    Kirk