Re: [lro] Re: Pictures of MY new truck

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 08:54:32 EST

    > What is it about Series Land Rovers
    > that prompts so many people to plaster them with decals and
    > stickers?

    I have custom made British Pacific stickers on each side of my hard
    top. They were applied at the start of the time that British Pacific
    sponsored my Land Rover. Their sponsorship included free parts,
    including a cylinder head, brake booster, radiator, replacement axles,
    fuel pump, a new set of tyres and more over a 2 year period. I have
    kept the sponsorship decals on out of a sense of gratitude.

      On the back of the Green Rover on one of the little windows alongside
    the lift gate are a pair of stickers. One is an oval country style
    sticker that says MOAB. The one just above it says "Don't follow my
    you won't make it." But these are on the small window and not obvious
    unless you are fairly close. Why are they there? Just because. Maybe
    it is because when I'm out and about if I'm not specifically aimed at
    the pacific North West I tend to end up hanging in Moab for a while.
    or more specifically I tend to base myself in Kane Creek Canyon. The
    other sign? Well I reckon you just need to follow me about when the
    hubs are locked to understand that one.

    > I have not been aware of quite so much garishness
    > with vehicles like FJ40s and CJ5s, but perhaps there are plenty of
    > examples
    > of these vehicles that are just as tastelessly plastered.

    I reckon you have never been to Moab during Easter week. Or to any of
    the other big 4X4 gatherings. There are lots of lavishly decaled 4X4s
    of every description. Company rigs, sponsored rigs and mostly wanabe's
    who try to look like a sponsored rig.

    > But I've seen too many examples of freshly restored and painted
    > Land Rovers that are about as perfect as it's possible to get with wavy
    > Birmabright, and the first thing the owners seem to do is go out and
    > get as big a collection of garish logos and bumper stickers and plaster
    > them all over the vehicles.

    It gives that "sponsored vehicle" look. There are parts companies that
    do sponsor vehicles for certain reasons and the sponsors expect
    exposure in return. This often includes a largish decal, public
    testimonials and web site or print exposure.

    So adding decals can provide that "sponsored vehicle look" which makes
    it 'just too cool'

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
    twakeman@cruzers.com

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    "How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
    Amelia Earhart 1898-1937