[lro] Re: Pictures of MY new truck

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 23:26:25 EST

    >Frank Elson wrote:
    >that's a lovely truck. Now all you need is a litre of Dark Bronze
    Green and a 4ins brush... ;-)

    The pictures reminded me of a question I've been wondering
    about for years. What is it about Series Land Rovers
    that prompts so many people to plaster them with decals and
    stickers? Judging by the photos I've seen posted here and in
    magazines, it's gotten as bad as Formula One. You know there's
    a race car down under there somewhere, but you'd never guess its
    shape from all the sponsor's decals and other crap plastered all
    over them. I'm probably really old fashioned and out of touch,
    but I still recall the clean, beautiful lines of race cars in the 1960s
    and 70s. I don't think Jimmy Clark's cars had anything but
    racing numbers on them. (I do understand the big money attached
    to sponsors' logos and the racing teams' need to get more of it, but
    that doesn't make me like the look of the things.)

    I've seen so many photos of really nice looking Land Rovers that
    are covered with loud, annoying ("Best 4 X 4 X Far" being one of
    the most irritating in this regard) decals that clash with the
    paint, the lines, and the aesthetics of the vehicle. I'm not talking about
    the
    modification of a Series from factory original here, I'm simply
    wondering why so many people seem to have such bad taste when it
    comes to Land Rovers. I have not been aware of quite so much garishness
    with vehicles like FJ40s and CJ5s, but perhaps there are plenty of examples
    of these vehicles that are just as tastelessly plastered.

    It's sort of like deliberately putting a ding in a Ferrari with a ball
    peen hammer. It's still a Ferrari, and it still performs and sounds
    like a Ferrari, and it's still great to drive (assuming you have
    one of the good Ferraris). But it's got
    this ding in it that stands out like a big zit on a homecoming queen's face.

    I could understand it if the owner is trying to cover up corrosion, bullet
    holes, or the place where he scraped the car against the parking garage
    pillar. But I've seen too many examples of freshly restored and painted
    Land Rovers that are about as perfect as it's possible to get with wavy
    Birmabright, and the first thing the owners seem to do is go out and
    get as big a collection of garish logos and bumper stickers and plaster
    them all over the vehicles.

    So perhaps someone can explain to me the fascination so many Land Rover
    owners have with trying to make their vehicles look like billboards. Is it
    considered cool, these days? Like tongue studs and eyebrow piercings?
    Do the people who plaster all sorts of stuff all over their otherwise clean
    and well-maintained Land Rovers do the same thing to their other vehicles?
    Should I start expecting to see BMW 740s or Z-8s with huge, neon
    "Ultimate Driving Machine" stickers and big decals saying "M Power" all
    over them? Just curious....