Re: [lro] Reply from GM

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 08:57:25 EST

    Nate wrote:
    > Back in the day, when Chevy's were C10, C20, C30 (K for 4wd) and Ford was
    F100, F200, F300 (Jeep went the J1000-J3000 and Dodge was D100-D300), the
    numbers refered roughly to the rear axle weight rating (based on springs,
    brakes etc)Originally, a 1/2 Ton truck rear axle rating was 1/2 ton. As
    trucks improved and manufacturers competed, the number designation
    represented the same (ie F150 has a rear axle rating of 1.5 tons
    approximately)Chevy marketing when hogwild and multiplied it all by a
    thousand (ie Silverado 1500 is roughly rated at 1.5 tons at the rear axle).
    Numbers shifted over time from F100 to F150 to more accurately reflect this
    (and because F150 HAS to be better than a mere F100 a measly C10)

        I personally doubt the 1.5 ton theory. A rather knowledgeable mechanic
    (now salesman) once told me that a half ton is no longer actually a "half
    ton". They are actually less. It was supposed that if you compared an old
    C10 to the newer 1500's they would both carry the weight... but the old girl
    won't fall to dust so quickly. Considering how beefy trucks were in the
    day, it seems true. In an effort to add more crap and luxury the vital
    components are continually getting lighter. Sometimes it's good and
    sometimes not. I know my old 1/2 ton frame was stronger than my current
    3/4. That's precisely why I got an 8600 lb. GVW truck instead of a new 1/2
    ton. My old girl was abused heavily (by myself as well as others) and I
    knew it would be worse on a new truck, so I upgraded.
        As J-L stated, more and more of these trucks never see duty. Even big
    companies are buying trucks now instead of cars for ridiculous jobs. Why?
    It's probably more to do with psychology than practicality. What I do know
    is that my truck had about 2000 lb of maple in it and a trailer with as much
    in tow just two days ago. I use my truck regularly and wish it was going to
    stand up better but I find solace in the fact that it rides better in the
    mean time. :-)

    Kirk