Re: [lro] Speaking of "heavy" trucks - Ford IH 6.9L Diesel?

From: Bryan Hoult (bhoult@peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 02:07:09 EST

    We used them for a brief time in the 80's in our distribution fleet (9
    vans - local restraunt and grocery store delivery). They didn't hold up
    well, but nothing lasted long in that environment. We found it more cost
    effective to shorten 26000 GVW IH and UD (Nissan) straight trucks. They
    were overbuilt and a little big for city delivery, but they were cheaper to
    maintain and couldn't be destroyed by the monkeys that drove them (Hey, we
    paid peanuts, what did we expect?) I remember going to the ford dealer to
    pickup the cab and chassis before the refer boxes were fit to the trucks.
    The 6.9 would spin the duals on dry pavement pretty good when they were new.
    I don't think we got more than 200K out of any of them before they were
    rebuilt. In that business it takes about a year to rack up 100K on a truck.
    I remember not feeling too good about the 6.9. If I were to go navistar,
    it would have to be the DT466. Quite the engine that. Don't think it would
    fit in a pickup....well maybe in the back.

    Bryan