Re: [lro] Measuring rims

From: David Blair (daveblair@bcnewsgroup.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 13:36:23 EST

    If you're planning on putting the large tires on a series truck, which, I
    believe, was where this thread started, I suggest that you pay heed to your
    turning radius.

    Depending on the wheels you use, the larger tires will hit the frame much
    sooner than the small tires and your Rover will become even more piggish in
    its turns than normal.

    I have relatively close to stock tires (BFG TrakEdge 750R16) originally
    installed on the stock rims on my 1966 88". They rubbed constantly and
    caused me to have to shunt on any tight turns. I installed slightly wider
    but more importantly, negatively offset wheels from a mid 80s Defender,
    which moved the wheels out by about 1.25 inches. Huge difference. No more
    rubbing and much tighter turns.

    If it made such a difference on my slightly oversize tires (31") it will be
    an even bigger factor as you increase tire size, IMHO.

    Dave Blair