Re: [lro] using the LR xfer case? was Major Surgery

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 10:29:28 EST

    > > It joins the transfer case via an expensive adaptor that
    > > Timm Cooper has
    > > invented.

    Almost sounds like brain surgery!

    > More, or less than $1000?
    >
    > Thanks - Bryan (need to adapt a sm465 to a SIIa xfer case)

    Valdez has a T-18 that I have adapted to a rover t case, and I have had good
    success with it. The process involves cutting, machining and rewelding the
    output shaft, grafting on a rover end to the american transmission shaft.
    The shaft is then case hardened (if is so desired - I didn't bother) and the
    adapter is nothing but a 3/4" plate of aluminum machined as a bearing
    retainer on one side, with the american tranny bolt pattern recessed into it
    and the rover stud pattern on the other side. You end up with a shorter
    driveline than a stock series, as the tranny case is very short on these,
    and usually end up with a 6ish to 1st gear, which is wondrous off-road. The
    low first is also exceptional when running 3.54s in a city setting, where
    you sometimes need a granny gear to get moving without riding the clutch.

    Concerns I had about durability are a thing of the past as I have beaten the
    package thoroughly behind a 300 I6 Ford and have never had a failure related
    to the shaft. I would not hesitate to place a lifetime guarantee on this
    part, behind any engine that fits in a Land-Rover. The plate DID come off
    the tranny once, but that was due to using poor quality bolts that stretched
    prematurely. Grade 8 fixed this problem for good.

    The process is basically the same for an NP435, SM 420, SM 465 or T-19.
    These trannies, coupled to an ashcroft or rangie diffs, make repowering a
    Land-Rover a definite possibility, and, next to an NV4500, are your best bet
    for an indestructible tranny. The other nice thing is that they are very
    common and extremely cheap. The conversion does require EXCEPTIONAL welding
    abilities (I don't touch the welding, professional welder does that part of
    the job) and some machine tools that aren't usually found in ones' garage.

    I hate to use the LRO list for the purpose of personal gain, but I if anyone
    is interested in getting one of these built, contact me off-list. This is
    the sort of thing I enjoy and I'd be happy to provide these at a very
    competitive price.

    J-L