Re: [lro] 80 MPH

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 10:50:31 EST

    > Mark P: 80mph! I'd expect pieces to rattle off!

    They usually do. I rarely flog Valdez to speeds of the super-sanity
    magnitude anymore, but once in a while, if I'm in quite a hurry I'll put my
    foot in it and see how fast the wreck will go. I'm usually surprised at how
    well it holds the road, and the range rover brakes are magnificent, so it's
    actually a lot safer than it sounds. Sort of.

    As Mark pointed out, the problems seem to arise not with the vehicle's
    undercarriage, but the body that is on it. Door tops start flapping wildly,
    wipers have a mind of their own, and defender mirrors will fold back at what
    I suspect was 85 mph. Passengers usually start getting quite worried
    (especially those who usually drive a 2.25L 4 pot) and the noise is
    absolutely horrendous.

    Mark, for the bonnet issue, I highly recommend adding some Land-Rover hood
    tie downs, similar to the Jeep ones that are on every CJ and YJ. They will
    hold the bonnet down at speed where the regular hood latch is getting
    questionable.

    J-L