Re: [lro] using the LR xfer case? was Major Surgery

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 11:46:28 EST

    >>> It joins the transfer case via an expensive adaptor that
    >>> Timm Cooper has
    >>> invented.
    >
    > Almost sounds like brain surgery!

    Mine has an machined aluminum plate and a hybrid gearbox output shaft.
    I'm running a BW T-18 that Timm reworked. So a large part of the cost
    was for him to go through the gearbox and install the new output shaft.

    For me the adaptor included the gearbox as part of the price.

    > Valdez has a T-18 that I have adapted to a rover t case, and I have
    > had good
    > success with it. The process involves cutting, machining and rewelding
    > the
    > output shaft, grafting on a rover end to the american transmission
    > shaft.
    > The shaft is then case hardened (if is so desired - I didn't bother)
    > and the
    > adapter is nothing but a 3/4" plate of aluminum machined as a bearing
    > retainer on one side, with the american tranny bolt pattern recessed
    > into it
    > and the rover stud pattern on the other side.

    This is the basic process of what Timm does for the T-18 & I assume the
    NP as well.

    > You end up with a shorter driveline than a stock series,

    My transfer case is mounted in the factory stock location so it can use
    stock prop shafts. It just means the engine is a tad rearwards
    providing more space for the radiator without moving the radiator
    bulkhead out to the front.

    > Concerns I had about durability are a thing of the past as I have
    > beaten the
    > package thoroughly behind a 300 I6 Ford and have never had a failure
    > related
    > to the shaft. I would not hesitate to place a lifetime guarantee on
    > this
    > part, behind any engine that fits in a Land-Rover.

    I initially voiced that concern to Timm when I learned that two gearbox
    output shafts were to be welded together. He said he has never broken
    one and would guarantee for our lifetimes. I figure if anyone could
    break one of these shaft, mad driver Timm could.

    Sounds to me like you and he are doing basically the same things.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.