[lro] 80 MPH

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 19:48:52 EST

    Mark P: 80mph! I'd expect pieces to rattle off!

    It has higher diff gearing than stock. I think they are Rover P5 Diffs. It
    does 80 rather easily! It has 280 HP. :-) It does not care about hills at all.
    I am involved in aviation as some of you are. For the non-flyers, there is a
    speed for each airframe called VNE (Velocity Never Exceed) It is the speed at
    which large important bits come off. I have found that a Series Land Rover's VNE
    is about 79 MPH and I have to watch it. The speedo is off by 10 MPH becase of
    the gearing and bigger tires so I checked it with my GPS and found the 10 MPH
    error. At 80 it is fairly loud in the cockpit. Other motorists look surprised.
    The windshield resonates and the wipers whirl around and end up on the two air
    vents below the screen. The bonnet threatens to open too.
    It has power steering as well, this 67 Series IIa of mine and is not working too
    hard at 80, but the "airframe" IS.... so I am carefull. It is very sure footed
    and will track like a sportscar at speed. I am having Defender Disc brakes
    fitted because the Series Drums suck a lot and you have to allow huge braking
    distances. Do not worry, I am off the road at the moment. When I get it back,
    it will have real brakes. She's a bitch, but I love her, my chevy (Land Rover)