Re: [lro] starter thanks and spare tires

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 15:58:14 EST

    > > My tires are oversize, and the one on the hood really blocks some
    >> vision! Any suggestion (besides run smaller tires) for this?
    >
    >Nobody has mentioned the other option, inside. I don't like a big tire on
    >the bonnet either and didn't want to hang up on the rear so I bought the
    >little bolt-thingy that goes right behind the front seats.
    > One thing to keep in mind if you actually off road is weight
    >distribution. Having the tire on the bonnet is best for climbing a steep
    >grade while the rear door would be the worst.

    Another option is on the roof. Mine is attached to my roof rack
    using the stock rear door mount, with the plates reversed. I had to
    cut longer threads on the U bolt part, but other than that it just
    fits. Sub-optimal for weight distribution, aerodynamics (in a
    land-rover?) and ease of use, but it is not blocking the view,
    breaking the door, or taking up space inside. That's not much of a
    problem in my 12 passenger Station Wagon, but in an 88 it sucks.

    David