Re: [lro] Ceiling gunk.

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 16:43:49 EST

    >B.) Metal conducts heat away from the area beneath the heat gun,
    >thus reducing its effectiveness in that application.

    Bingo. Metal -- particularly aluminum -- is a good conductor of
    heat. It's hard to get it locally hot enough to melt paint without
    quite a large input of heat. A consumer grade heat gun doesn't
    really put out that much heat, so you'll only be able to raise the
    temperature of the whole workpiece a few or ten of degrees above
    ambient, and locally not a whole lot more than that. A higher
    powered heat source, like a torch, or an industrial heat gun (the one
    I borrowed from my father's lab is 1800 W, and puts out air heated to
    250 or 300 F on it's highest heat, lowest flow setting), or an oven
    (though getting a roof in one would be hard), is needed.

    Masonite, wood, and other things made with cellulose are not very
    good conductors of heat, so you'll not raise the temperature of the
    whole workpiece very much, but can get the part under the gun quite
    hot.