Re: [lro] Ceiling gunk.

From: Christopher Dow (dow@thelen.org)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 10:26:36 EST

    Backpn7@aol.com wrote:
    8<

    >Another option is a heat gun, and scraper, but you risk removing paint with this, just a few ideas for you

    Since you mentioned a heat gun, I'll relate a recent experience I've
    had. I used a heat gun in between coats on some extra dash plaets
    (heater controls, extra instruments) on my IIA. Heating the metal in
    between coats gave a texture to the paint which made it less reflective.
     I noticed while doing this that while the heat seemed to help dry each
    coat of paint and make the overall finish quite a bit harder, I could
    not see how a heat gun would remove paint. As my curiosity took over, I
    started experimenting with what it did on the peice of masonite I was
    using to keep the paint off my driveway as I worked. It was quite odd:
     the heat gun bubbled the paint off the masonite almost immediately,
    while it never seemed to bubble the paint from the metal I was painting.
     I came up with two hypotheses:

    1.) Air or some other substance in the pores in the masonite was
    heating up and causing the paint to bubble. Since metal doesn't usually
    have pores (I'm assuming your roof isn't that foamed steel stuff that
    has to be made in zero-g :-), maybe a heat gun either won't work on
    metal or is a lot more work.

    B.) Metal conducts heat away from the area beneath the heat gun, thus
    reducing its effectiveness in that application.

    I have put no thought into an experiment which could disprove either of
    these. Anyway, my experience shows that at least the Wagner heat gun I
    have has difficulty removing paint from metal. I don't know how it
    would work on the gunk, (maybe just as ineffective) and can second the
    previous endorsement of Goo-Gone. My wife digs it--she has a Ph.D. in
    chemistry, and actually uses the knowledge accumulated in its
    acquisition to select products for use in our every-day life.

    Please apply the usual disclaimers.