[lro] Congrat, I hope, Paul! was It's official!

From: Solihull@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 09:53:30 EST

    In a message dated 12/7/02 2:14:21, pschultz@vcmails.com writes:

    << Well, I've made it official. My first Series LR arrived this morning! I am

    the proud owner of a 1967 109 inch 5 door! It started life as a RHD but was

    rebuilt on a 1980 Series III LHD military chassis and drivetrain. It is a

    reliable daily driver. I'll have to get some pics up on the web.

    Now I can stop lurking and start asking questions...lots of questions!

    I need to vent for a moment. What I am about to discuss hasn't cost me a
    cent, in fact I have profited from the phenomenon. But I really feel for the
    folks who get caught up in this and end up loosing thousands.
    I'm glad Paul joined the list, even to lurk. He got lots of good info, that
    way. Better it would have been to be asking questions up front. Yes, you
    still have a RHS shifter. Over the past ten years or so, there have been
    *lots* of folks bringing in series trucks. Because US customs and DOT don't
    care (which suits me!) or don't have the resources to check every one coming
    in, some people of low degree, opportunists, not lifelong Rover folks,
    brought over vehicles that had only had the number plate changed, or maybe
    shifted to LHS. I was paid well, to come behind a guy named Cambridge,
    sending trucks over for an outfit called "Renewed Traditions" to sort out
    some of his "She'll be right, mate!" patches. I wasn't always successful. I
    don't think either are in business anymore, so much the better. I have two
    trucks for sale right now for people who didn't do any research before
    buying. I have one more, that won't be for sale for a loooong time, sold on
    LRX for ten grand, wasn't worth over three, and was one of those Renewed
    Traditions trucks. One's a 79ish 109 regular RHS thats tagged as a 69. Frame
    is shot, owner has 9 grand in it, you get the picture? Other is 2wd, Belgian
    specs 24v, owner paid $4500 in spring to buy it and $2000 in repairs. I hope
    to sell it today and clear $1500 for the owner after the last shop bill is
    paid.
    Puh-leeeeeeze, Paul, and all others contemplating series ownership. Get lots
    of info, early. Join a club. Ask the 'dumb questions' and save yourself lots
    of grief.
    Cheers!
    John Dillingham
    Vintage Rover Service
    Canton, Georgia
    93 Eurovan 'Red Bettie'
    88 Range Rover 'Periwinkle'
    85 Range Rover 'Hyacinth'
    68 Land Rover 88 (project, for sale)
    72 Land Rover 88 'Old 502
    72 Land Rover 88 'Nell'
    82 Isuzu Imark diesel 'baby deezle'
    60 Ex MOD series II SWB RHD
    75 Ex MOD 101 forward control troop transport