[lro] Where's Land Cruiser?

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 12:03:20 EST

    In my 45 minute commute each day I see a lot of vehicles, and so
    get an idea of what's in vogue these days. Back in the early '90s,
    I saw quite a few "new style" Toyota Land Cruisers. They were
    more numerous than Range Rovers. The Jeep Grand Cherokee,
    of course, made a huge splash in this area, becoming
    the "required" vehicle in the suburbs.

    In the mid-90s, the Discovery began making an appearance, and
    today I see a lot of them, particularly
    on the Eastside (Microsoft country). Range Rovers, both classics and
    the 1995+ "new model" are very common now. So far, I've only seen
    one "brand new" model Range Rover. But then I only saw three or
    four in England during the last couple of weeks, so I imagine their high
    price is keeping the volume down, at least for now.

    Ford moved into the number one spot in the later '90s with the Expedition
    and
    then the Excursion. These two vehicles seem to have replaced the
    Grand Cherokee as the "must have" vehicle in our area.

    But what's surprised me is the Toyota Land Cruiser has almost
    completely disappeared from the roads. I saw one this morning which
    made me realize I hadn't seen one (or a Lexus 450) for ages. I occasionally

    see a Toyota Sequoia, which seems to be a slightly smaller version of the
    Land Cruiser, and of course the 4Runner is quite common. But the
    full-up Land Cruiser seems to have vanished in terms of popularity. Is
    this just a local quirk, or has Toyota lost market share in this class of
    vehicle?