Re: [lro] Re: TD5 (no Series content)

From: MarkoNTL (marko.cosic@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 03:39:13 EST

    > The accelerator had one other annoying trait I'd forgotten until writing
    > this.
    > When accelerating from a standing stop, the acceleration was "normal" for
    > a diesel vehicle of this type until the rpms reached perhaps 2,500 rpm or
    > so.

    Most turboed engines do this, before that revs the turbo is idling around,
    once you get to about that speed there's enough exhaust heat and velocity to
    mean the turbo shaft/compressor can spin faster than the engine is sucking
    the air, generating boost. The more boost the hotter the exhaust and so its
    a vicous circle, leading to going from no boost to lots of boost in a very
    short space of time. Almost all turbo cars do this to a degree. Boost
    buildup can be 'softened' or prolonged to an extent but yuo hurt performance
    doing it.

    I _suspect_ what is happening is partially to do with the electronic contol.
    Older mechanically controlled diesels injected a certain amount of fuel
    according to pedal position, and they could be a bit overenthusiastic if the
    pedal was planted at low revs. The 'leccy ones will inject the same certain
    amount of fuel fr the given pedal position, but only once revs or turbo
    boost are high enough for it to burn celanly, so the combination of the ECU
    only injecting fuel only when the engine is ready, and the turbo abruptly
    kicking in helps create that trait.

    You get used to it, easiest solution is to either drive 'on' or 'off' boost
    ALL the time. :)