Re: [lro] no juice

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 15:07:39 EST

    >Here's an update to my electrical problems:
    >
    >just tried using a multitester. The battery itself was
    >fine, and the ground to it was also. We then tested
    >the fuse box, and each of the two fuses tested
    >allright. However when we tested the connection from
    >the battery to the fuse box there was no power getting
    >to it.
    >
    >I'm a little confused here, though. I don't have any
    >electricity anywhere - brake lights, headlights, the
    >horn, the heater, the starter, anything. But before I
    >had taken apart everything for the frame-off last
    >summer, I was able to turn on the heater, for example,
    >without turning on the ignition. I can't do that now.
    >I could also turn on the headlights without the
    >ignition on, but they don't come on now.
    >
    >In the schematics I have, the negative cable (since my
    >rover is positive grounded) connects directly to the
    >solenoid, which in turn goes to the starter, voltage
    >regulater, fuse box, et al. Could the solenoid be the
    >problem? How can I check this? Also, does this mean
    >the solenoid is the first point of power and if this
    >is bad, then nothing else will work?

    Positive ground Land-Rovers haven't got a solenoid. They've got a
    push button switch. Small detail, but it bugs me. Are you sure
    you've got the wires on the right lugs on the starter switch? The
    lead from the battery needs to be on the same stud as the voltage
    regulator and feed to fuse box, with the lead to starter being the
    only thing on the other. If it's not that way, things will only work
    when the starter is turning. That's not really a very useful
    behavior.

    David