Re: [lro] Biodiesel

From: S. Vels (sv@io.dk)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 06:49:30 EST

    David Scheidt wrote:

    > There were a fair number of producer gas vehicles around during WWII.
    > There were great shortages of gasoline, particularly in areas occupied
    > by Germany. The Germans didn't have enough gasoline for their own
    > use, let alone for the silly occupied civvies. If you look at
    > pictures of Paris taxis, they have a wood stove in the trunk iwth the
    > exhaust hooked up to the intake of the petrol engine.
    >
    > Producer gas, for those who don't know, is mostly carbon monoxide
    > (well, it's mostly nitrogen, buy CO is where the calorific content
    > comes from). It's produced by blowing air over a fuel source. Coal,
    > coke, wood, cotton waste, wool waste, etc, can be used. It's used
    > industrially in some glass furnaces.

    During the occupation, most cars and busses were powered by gen-gas
    (generator-gas). If you plan on building one, make sure that no gasses
    can get into the cars. Many taxi drivers and other professional drivers
    died during or shortly after the war, due to gas poisoning.

    The preferred fuel was wood cubes, about 5 cm on each side.

    In Sweden, fancy designs appeared due to fuel shortage. I saw a few
    years ago a fancy car (don't remember the make) with a gen-gas generator
    built as a trailer. The generator was hidden under a streamlined body
    paintet the same silver-grey as the cars. A wealty mans way of adapting
    to the situation.

    If you build such a trailer, remember to fit air brakes on the side, to
    avoid adding aero dynamic to the Land-Rover.

    rgds
    sv/aurens