Re: [lro] Biodiesel

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 03:44:17 EST

    >On 12/3/02 7:30 AM, "Alan J. Richer" <mrchurchill109@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Why is this making me flash back to a movie I once saw?
    >> Typical WWII flick - stranded military type was trying to
    >> get a busload of kids out of the jungle to where the
    >> friendly forces could pick them up.
    >>
    >> Bus was powered by producer gas - from cocoanut shells...
    >
    >I once bought an ice-cold coke from a guy in a shack in the middle of a
    >jungle. City-boy mind didn't click that he pulled it out of a fridge, as
    >that's usually where ice cold cokes come from at the house... But then it
    >hit me, so I had to ask hi, what the deal was. The fridge ran on coconut
    >shells ("copra"?) so perhaps the movie was based on reality?

    There were a fair number of producer gas vehicles around during WWII.
    There were great shortages of gasoline, particularly in areas
    occupied by Germany. The Germans didn't have enough gasoline for
    their own use, let alone for the silly occupied civvies. If you look
    at pictures of Paris taxis, they have a wood stove in the trunk iwth
    the exhaust hooked up to the intake of the petrol engine.

    Producer gas, for those who don't know, is mostly carbon monoxide
    (well, it's mostly nitrogen, buy CO is where the calorific content
    comes from). It's produced by blowing air over a fuel source. Coal,
    coke, wood, cotton waste, wool waste, etc, can be used. It's used
    industrially in some glass furnaces.

    David